Printing and Photocopying Service Unavailable at Red Hill
Printing and photocopying services are currently unavailable at the Red Hill. The estimated time of disruption is unknown. We are working to resolve this issue. Thank you for your patience.
Central Library - Tax Clinic Cancellation
Due to unforeseen circumstances, the free drop-in tax preparation service clinic on Saturday, April 8 has been cancelled. Please visit hpl.ca/free-tax-service for other clinic dates. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Please be aware of online phishing attempts impersonating Hamilton Public Library and Library Staff. HPL does not solicit paid freelance opportunities through social media or other messaging applications. HPL does not request personal or banking information through social media or require financial compensation when reviewing job applications. Please report phishing schemes to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you think you are a victim of fraud, please call the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501.
Barton Branch Makerspace
The iMac at the Barton Branch Makerspace is currently unavailable. We are working to resolve this issue.
LH&A Collections Policy
The Local History & Archives collection exists to:
- collect and preserve materials which illustrate the growth and development of Hamilton-Wentworth, both before and after incorporation, or which pertain in whole or in part to activities within the geographic boundaries of Hamilton-Wentworth;
- arrange and describe these materials according to archival principles and make them accessible to the general public on a regular basis, unless access is restricted by legal requirements or written agreement with the donor;
- provide adequate and appropriate conditions for the storage, protection and preservation of archival material;
- provide regular reference services to individuals, organizations, the municipal government, or other groups interested in the activities and holdings of the Archives;
- provide educational and outreach programming whenever possible to increase public awareness of Hamilton-Wentworth's history and development.
Material acquired by Local History & Archives shall become the permanent property of the Archives and, therefore, the Hamilton Public Library, until such time as the Archivist deems it not longer relevant to the Archives, in which case the material may be deaccessioned. Deaccessioning will not take place without the written approval of the department head responsible for the Archives. All information pertaining to the deaccessioning and disposition of material will be retained in the Archives' records.
The Archives retains the right to reproduce materials by mechanical, electronic, or photographic means for security, conservation, or research purposes.
The Archives will accept historical material of any medium, including: textual records; photographs and other visual records; maps, plans and architectural records; and sound recordings and oral history tapes. The Archives will only accept books, printed materials, artifacts and electronically stored data at the discretion of the Department Head or Archivist.
The Archives retains the right to charge for any reproduction or other research service. A schedule of fees will be made available to the general public on a regular basis.
The Archives will only accept material on a permanent basis, except when borrowing material for short-term loans to reproduce or to include in displays or exhibits.
Materials from the Archives may be loaned to other institutions or organizations only under the following circumstances:
- written authorization is obtained from the Manager, Local History & Archives (or designate)
- the borrower ensures adequate care and handling of the material on loan. If at any time the Archives determines that the material on loan is not being cared for adequately, the Manager or Archivist may cancel the loan and request the immediate return of the material.
No person shall be prevented from using archival materials unless is it determined that the materials will be physically abused or used in a libelous or illegal manner.
Manager, Local History & Archives
Hamilton Public Library
55 York Blvd.
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada