Printing and Photocopying Service Unavailable at Red Hill
Printing and photocopying services are currently unavailable at the Red Hill. The estimated time of disruption is unknown. We are working to resolve this issue. Thank you for your patience.
Central Library - Tax Clinic Cancellation
Due to unforeseen circumstances, the free drop-in tax preparation service clinic on Saturday, April 8 has been cancelled. Please visit hpl.ca/free-tax-service for other clinic dates. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Please be aware of online phishing attempts impersonating Hamilton Public Library and Library Staff. HPL does not solicit paid freelance opportunities through social media or other messaging applications. HPL does not request personal or banking information through social media or require financial compensation when reviewing job applications. Please report phishing schemes to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you think you are a victim of fraud, please call the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501.
Barton Branch Makerspace
The iMac at the Barton Branch Makerspace is currently unavailable. We are working to resolve this issue.
Accessible Washroom Unavailable at Barton Branch
The accessible washroom is currently unavailable at the Barton Branch. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Working With Us
For more information about Working With Us, see our Working With Us Policy.
HPL works with organizations that align with our core organizational values (Intellectual Freedom, Inclusiveness, Innovation, Respect and Accountability) and/or share common goals or objectives with HPL.
There are three (3) core reasons we engage in partnerships:
- Extend and enhance HPL services and program goals in sustainable ways.
- Support the city and broad-based initiatives that advance our economic, social and cultural richness.
- Enhance coordination and reduce overlap in effort between agencies.
Priority is given to organizations and initiatives that meet multiple partnership criteria:
- Align with HPL’s core organizational values (Intellectual Freedom, Inclusiveness, Innovation, Respect and Accountability) and/or shares common goals or objectives.
- Committed to mutual benefit and a reciprocal approach to levels of commitment.
- Demonstrated commitment to collaboration and shared planning.
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing evaluation and continuous improvement.
- Demonstrated commitment to collective impact and long-term strategies.
- In some cases, partners that can provide an activity or service at multiple locations.
Priorities of Library Space Use
- Library managed or co-managed programs
- Co-managed programs are developed in advance; HPL and the partner organization collaborate on program planning and evaluation.
- Free community learning programs from aligned partners
- HPL partners and City Councillors' free allocations
- Paid room and space rentals
Some examples of acceptable use of Library spaces including: partner-led learning programs with Library partnership, partner-led speaking programs with Library input, local committee meetings and group test proctoring.
HPL restricts illegal activity, discrimination, sales promotion, private social gatherings, religion-based activities, fundraising events and gambling in Library spaces.
HPL programs support learning, skill development, and creativity. They are free, inclusive, informational and maintain a respectful tone. Presentations are planned in alignment with system goals and objectives.
Read more about our program objectives. HPL prefers co-planned programs which challenge thinking and cover gaps in community needs. Topics include:
- Literacy for all
- Life-long learning journeys
- Digital inclusion
- Workforce development
- Community cohesion
- Empowers people to improve
- Access to arts, music and culture
- Civic engagement
- Information to community services
- Creative aging
- Inter-generational experiences
For partnerships and use of library spaces, contact us.
For programming suggestions, complete the Program Application Form.