Printing and Photocopying Service Unavailable at Red Hill
Printing and photocopying services are currently unavailable at the Red Hill. The estimated time of disruption is unknown. We are working to resolve this issue. Thank you for your patience.
Central Library - Tax Clinic Cancellation
Due to unforeseen circumstances, the free drop-in tax preparation service clinic on Saturday, April 8 has been cancelled. Please visit hpl.ca/free-tax-service for other clinic dates. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Please be aware of online phishing attempts impersonating Hamilton Public Library and Library Staff. HPL does not solicit paid freelance opportunities through social media or other messaging applications. HPL does not request personal or banking information through social media or require financial compensation when reviewing job applications. Please report phishing schemes to email@example.com. If you think you are a victim of fraud, please call the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501.
Barton Branch Makerspace
The iMac at the Barton Branch Makerspace is currently unavailable. We are working to resolve this issue.
Newcomer Learning Centre English Tutoring
The Newcomer Learning Centre’s English Tutoring Program provides one-to-one English Language Learning to Newcomer adults, in-person, online or both. Meet for English tutoring twice per week, for one to two hours each session.
- Age 19+.
- Fluent in spoken and written English.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Reliable and trustworthy.
- An interest in other cultures.
- Intermediate/ advanced computer skills (for online tutoring.)
- Commit to a minimum of six months.
- A Secondary School Diploma is preferred.
- A recent Criminal Record with Judicial Matters Check within 14 days of being matched with a student (dated within the past 12 months).
- Compliant with HPL’s Mandatory Workplace COVID-19 Vaccination Verification Policy.
- Help participants learn English.
- Conduct one-to-two hour tutoring sessions, twice per week.
- Submit a monthly lesson report.
- Respect confidentiality.
- Help Newcomers improve their English.
- Meet and foster friendships with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Help Newcomers improve their English skills and confidence.
- Provides valuable tutoring experience.
Volunteer English Volunteer Application
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
This program is funded by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.